Thursday, July 31, 2008

What if?

Hey Extraterrestrials:

So here's what I've been pondering today, something that I have every intention of developing into my next piece of cra...er...novel.

What if the Industrial Revolution never happened? Let's say, just for the sake of expanding our minds, that rather than the urge to invent machines, and other contraptions designed to make our life cleaner, easier, and more efficient, the collective known as the human race developed their intellect instead? I'm talking about a mental revolution. Would this improve the living conditions on our planet, or would we be screwed? If this epiphany of the species began around the same time as the industrial revolution, thereby replacing said revolution, could we hypothesize we might reap relatively the same benefits from this alternate path toward advancing civilization?

Communications is the first thing that comes to mind. Without the distractions of gadgets and gizmos, how much more of our brain pan would be available for us to focus on the areas of ESP, telekenisis, mental telepathy, and learning how to spell words like vacuum? I mean really, couldn't we build the same big buildings, create really cool music and other entertainment options, and move about the planet just as easily using the power of mind control? Think of it. Teleportation, astral projection, walking on water, all of these facets of everyday life, with the proper attention to cranial development, would be possible. In fact, I'll even go so far as to say our civilization might even be more advanced than it is now.

If anybody's out there reading this (really, who am I kidding) I'd like your thoughts on the subject. But please, all you would be writers out there, don't steal my neato premise. I look forward to creating this world on the printed page someday. Now all I need is a plot and about 6 months to finish the first draft of my current WIP, get my other WIP, Forbidden Seed(s), into good enough shape to find a publisher, and hopefully resist the urge to down many mouthfuls of sleeping pills to make the pain go away.

Until then,
Hee Haw

No comments: