Thursday, August 14, 2008

Searching for the point...Threadbare Thursday

Greetings:

Yeah, I put a bit of thought into this. When was the last time you used the word "threadbare" in a sentence?

I thought so.

Let's get this part out of the way first:

threadbare
Adjective
1. (of cloth, clothing, or a carpet) having the nap worn off so that the threads are exposed
2. having been used or expressed so often as to be no longer interesting: threadbare ideas
3. wearing shabby worn-out clothes

And from the thesaurus:
Adj. 1. threadbare - repeated too often; overfamiliar through overuse; "bromidic sermons"; "his remarks were trite and commonplace"; "hackneyed phrases"; "a stock answer"; "repeating threadbare jokes"; "parroting some timeworn axiom"; "the trite metaphor `hard as nails'"

I like those thesaurus entries. Especially "hackneyed phrases" and "parroting a timeworn axiom".

Inching up the ladder in my quest for understanding the universe, I'm glad I found this word today. It's like a bird in the hand, good as gold, ripe for the picking, something to think about in the wee hours of the night.

You get the picture.

So I asked when the last time was you used this word in a sentence. Let me give it a shot:

In the waiting room of the tiny clinic, Johann paced back and forth on the stained, threadbare carpet.

Hmmm...not bad.

Hee Haw

No comments: