Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Numbers update

Only time enough for the numbers...

Okay, okay, maybe I'll post another excerpt as well.

As of 2:23 pm on the 10th day of Nano, here's where I stand.

Cumulative word count = 14,870
Average words per day = 1,487
Suggested daily word count = 1,667
Days remaining = 20
Words remaining = 35,130
Words per Day to Finish on Time = 1,757

Okay, so I'm lagging behind a little, but the day isn't over yet. Still, I went to the nano forum over at Absolute Write and found the thread where people post their nano word count. I tell you, this thing is insane. There are people already over the 50k word mark. How in all that is holy does anyone write that fast without it being complete gibberish?

Okay, here's the excerpt I promised.

Something about the mornings these days seems darker than mornings are supposed to be. I take that as a bad sign—a sign that the world is actually growing darker, and if I were to guess, I’m the only one on the whole entire planet who’s noticing.
Not to sound like a parrot, but again, this comes back to the camera. Through the lens of this device, I can see things. Things no one else can. Things, like those old Chinese people trying to imagine the internet, no one could ever wrap their heads around. And if you’re reading this, then you won’t be able to wrap your head around it either unless I go into some big old long explanation.
So here goes.
As long as I can remember, I’ve never been what most people would call normal. Yeah, I know everyone thinks they’re something different, or special, or weird. People, I’ve figured out from reading books on psychology and junk, have a need to think of themselves as individuals. But when it all comes down to it, most people are all pretty much alike. Take the kids at my school. They all try to dress the same, watch the same TV shows, eat the same food, listen to the same kind of music. And sure, I try to do all those things too. But I’m a victim of circumstances. I mean how many kids do I know who are piano prodigies?
If you guessed zero, then you’d win something. Except I’ve got nothing to give you, unless you want me to play a Chopin etude, or a Bach fugue. Or maybe you’d like to take a shot at keeping the world safe from the powers of darkness.

No comments: