Thursday, November 13, 2008

The process

So here I am in the middle. Not exactly according to plan but I got there, and now I'm sort of freaking out.

Only because I care.

After 100k words I've typed "The End" on the last page of 'Matthew Newman'.

It's time to do more revisions on 'Seeds', which has been sitting for near eight months. Now I have two, count 'em, two, novels in the draft stage.

I care deeply about both of these books and I want them to be not just good, but great, because great is what it takes to get published these days.

So here's the plan.

I've started creating an outline for 'Seeds', which in second draft form. Yeah, I'm proud of the fact that I don't outline much of anything but I saw this idea floating around about the benefits of doing this to a novel in the draft stage and I thought, maybe I should keep an open mind and see how it works. So chapter by chapter I'm writing a short synopsis in order to see how the story line progresses. I already know it drags a bit in the middle and although the ending is good, it may need a bit more punch. Plus, it's still a bit on the long side for a first timer writing YA so it looks like I got some work to do. I would love to start submitting this after the holidays, which seems reasonable considering the two weeks I get to take off from the day job at the end of the year.

By that time 'Matthew' will have set long enough that I can go back and start cleaning up that mess. Honestly, the way I free formed my way through that book, there's no telling what I might find when I go back and actually read it. Should be fun.

Should I remind myself one more time that writing is not for the impatient?

Allow me to lift a line from our newly elected Pres. just for a bit of inspiration.

Yes I Can!

No comments: